Hey everyone, we just released some changes to how dimensions are handled in the submission form. This makes the input format standardized and allows us to do unit conversions amongst other things.

Unfortunately we were not able to programmatically move all the old values over to the new format, so you might see messages on some gear pages prompting you to move the information to this new standard. We do appreciate your help in ensuring the data quality of the submissions.

Do let us know if you have any problems, come across any oddities or have any other feedback. Thanks!

Very much liking this new feature. Thank you for implementing it. This will make future entries easier.

Will something similar be done for weight and dates? (Perhaps with an ability to indicate ongoing production per a last known year or an approxiamate year of production?)

jpvanson wrote:

Very much liking this new feature. Thank you for implementing it. This will make future entries easier.

Will something similar be done for weight and dates?

Happy to hear that! Yes, definitely want to move the weight and dates to a more structured input as well.

(Perhaps with an ability to indicate ongoing production per a last known year or an approxiamate year of production?)

Can you elaborate a bit more here, not sure I 100% get how you see this working?

My concern has just been with products not being updated as the years tick by. Some of my entries show as having ceased production, though they are still being made. The other being cases where a year is known for when something is made, be it from date marks or a catalog entry, but the years when production was started and ended are unknown. Something simple as an ability to leave the final year of production box empty (without throwing errors as sometimes happens with the form) could work for the first instance. For the other perhaps the ability to check a box for "circa" to have a single year with a "~" before it or similar.

Minor details, but even known part of that equation of when produced can help narrow down other details needed to address repairs, find more information, etc.

ah gotcha, that makes sense, we will look into the best way to implement something like that.

Thanks. Hopefully it won't pose too many issues to sort out. Once implemented, I'd think it could open up the possibility to sort entries by date, which would be handy.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.