Perhaps a bit more demanding hosting pics, but what a geekfest it would be to have available manuals eternally archived all in one place!

Hi eunoia! Thanks for the feedback. I can see how that would be an amazing thing to have. We have discussed this, there are concerns over copyright however. Will for sure keep it in mind however and see if there is any possibility of doing this.

Many manufactures (of current equipment) post their manuals online these days. Is it a problems to provide a link to those?

For non supported equipment I don't think it should be a problem. Would be awesome tho!

Many manufactures (of current equipment) post their manuals online these days. Is it a problems to provide a link to those?

No, a link to them would be fine I think. You can use the "External Links" field for that.

For non supported equipment I don't think it should be a problem. Would be awesome

I agree, but we would have to address the copyright concerns.

For equipment no longer offered and supported from the manufacturer it would not be problematic to offer electronic versions of the manuals.
The manual is most useful with the actual equipment so the manual may hav been paid for but a previous owner decided not to store both in the same space :( A second life for old gear does not mean anything approaching a steady revenue for the companies that built them, except in cases where the equipment is rare and used by large corpations such as reel deck at radio stations, where the fleet of deck used to cover exterior journalism, in-house production and editing and a broadcast and archive function - these corporations would now be down to analog archive functions only. For that use many older deck would be bought and used for parts by the original manufacturer. For example Studer. You just don't mess with that kind of gear without a readable service manual and a good clue to what you're doing. Good service does not come cheap and it starts with a manual - and someone who knows what he is doing.

Great idea, I would say...

I think this is really important - any update on this policy? I also am curious if we can include scans of reviews. I have an obscure turntable, and the previous owner was meticulous in saving photocopies of reviews, manuals, etc, and I could see that being very useful for someone looking for the same information. Can we upload manuals, reviews from magazines, or otherwise?

Alternatively being able to link to multiple reviews would be a very nice feature, esp. for newer gear

Manuals would be negligible because they most often do not have a copyright in them. But reviews would not be able to be uploaded without consent from the owner of the copyright. But for reviews there might be a loophole - if the author of the review is still alive and reachable he or she may have the right to publish the old material them-self, and may grant the right to display them along with any other information about the gear like manual and specifications, pictures of various kinds, like owners photos, promotion photos and photos taken by people opening the gear up, while for instance replacing capacitors.
For a small dedicated following, usually composed of those who now came to own the old gear, this practice should not get so much attention.
If you were to blatantly sell off copies of reviews or something like that, then you'd attract attention. Having successfully located enough copies of the magazines that featured the original review you can sell that page off each magazine - pending the review is not on the back of another review, then you'd have to make a choice of which is the one deserving to be sold.
To finance storage of reviews, photos, instructions and manuals you could run a donation thing possibly putting up a notice or banner when funds are low. And registered supporting users can get an email when material concerning their favorite gear is amended with new stuff.
Just ideas.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.