• delete/replace images
  • nobody on earth calls them cinch connectors. change that back.
  • https://archive.org/details/synthmanuals - automagically slurp this info into db all at once bcuz magic
  • manufacturer / designer group pages should allow for some info / pix / links just like the new style/genre pages on discogs
  • barrel connector should be an input type allowing for the different barrel diameters [in details box] and / or VDC vs VAC, amount of mA, and center negative or positive options ( http://www.summitsource.com/images/products/CMMTWC.jpg )
  • IEC should be a connector type [there are more than one kind =( ISO NOOO] ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/IEC_60320_C14.svg/100px-IEC_60320_C14.svg.png )
  • connector type 1/4" can be mono TS, stereo TRS, OR balanced TRS.
  • different revisions or makes of the same general item should all be referenced on a 'master release' page; c.f. MAM MB33 MK i and MK ii are basically the same item but with different faceplates and knobs and such; the MS-20 old vs MS-20 new, bass station vs super bass station
  • with an eye towards adding modular:
  • different formats (frac rack, doepfer, moog, synthesizers.com, the others) have different rail sizes, power supplies, interconnection formats. should be able to seperate different manuf's offerings sorted by format.
  • potentially reach out to stores blogs or sites to get their database infos on the one million types of modules (matrixsynth, muffwiggler, control in nyc, analogue haven in sf)

more to come

oh and, hello! hi! i am pete. i am DTF's pal with the radio show. i am friendly and fun and personable in many ways including posting lists of demands to web forums and making dev's lives more difficult!

i have some small amount of experience in internet business in general so i will try to tread lightly on your nice new website which is everything i had every wanted out of hyperreal ten years ago. thank you and also

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CB2bF7EUMAAVtY-.jpg

• comment threads per item for user reviews
  • 0-5 rating per item
  • used by these artists

Hi, good to hear from you! I saw you are making loads of entries, nice!

We will be continually improving the site, so thanks for your feedback, that will be useful to help us prioritize things.

Some specific replies:

nobody on earth calls them cinch connectors. change that back.

I did a bunch of research on all the connectors. The 'common names' for some of these, especially the older ones, is not consistent across countries. In order to make the lists more usable esp in the UK, the USA, and across Europe, I added alternative names in brackets. That's why it is "RCS (Phono, Cinch)... in the USA, they are RCAs, in the UK they are Phonos, in Europe they are Cinch.

https://archive.org/details/synthmanuals - automagically slurp this info

We are tending to avoid building things out by consuming other data sources, as the human element is important in maintaining data accuracy, which we feel is vital.

Yeh I haven't put any power connectors in the 'connectors' field. I'm wondering if that info should be in the 'power source' field.

connector type 1/4" can be mono TS, stereo TRS, OR balanced TRS.

Yup, if you click the 'add description' button on the connections section, you can get those options.

different revisions or makes of the same general item should all be referenced on a 'master release' page; c.f. MAM MB33 MK i and MK ii are basically the same item but with different faceplates and knobs and such; the MS-20 old vs MS-20 new, bass station vs super bass station

Yes, but we may leave that function for a while until there is a pressing need. More likely needed as well over at Comicogs and Bibliogs!

with an eye towards adding modular:
- different formats (frac rack, doepfer, moog, synthesizers.com, the others) have different rail sizes, power supplies, interconnection formats. should be able to seperate different manuf's offerings sorted by format.

Yup, there is a starting selection under the 'form factor' dropdown. Frac, eurorack, 5U, 500 series, and X-rack are all there at the moment. Let me know and I can add more easily. We may need to find the exact name for some of them

• potentially reach out to stores blogs or sites to get their database infos on the one million types of modules (matrixsynth, muffwiggler, control in nyc, analogue haven in sf)

delete/replace images.... yip, please!

Yeh we are getting asked this a lot!

where is the merge function?

http://www.gearogs.com/gear/8-Technics-SL-1210-mk2

http://www.gearogs.com/gear/1417-Technics-SL-1210MK2

Yup, that is getting asked for as well - we don't have a merge function yet.

spitballing wishlist items for far future:
re: 'external reference' links,
- indicators for link type (video, pdf, webpage, magazine review, sound sample, presets), filesize?
- some indication of hostname
- link is dead / thumbs up or down to indicate bum links
- some indication of 'officialness' (i am thinking of the example of a pdf on manufacturer's website being different from some random link in the wild)

just thinkin out loud =)

Thanks for the input. Will take this into account for future updates!

link is dead / thumbs up or down to indicate bum links

I'd just remove the link, dead links need killed :-)

some indication of 'officialness' (i am thinking of the example of a pdf on manufacturer's website being different from some random link in the wild

That can be mentioned in the link text. For example, http://www.gearogs.com/gear/1272-Modal-Electronics-001 - "External References - Modal product webpage". Does that help?

yes, well in my thoughts of incomprehensibly unlikely edge cases in regards to the naming of websites that might be linked to from gearogs there could be a 'modal product webpage' that is not the maker's site, like a fan/info site or a link to the product webpage of a shop or repair place? there could also be some fellow who names his unofficial modal product webpage 'official modal product webpage', or another big briar/moog problem where there are disputes about who owns the brand vs who is officially selling them.

anyway it's unlikely but was the source of the thought for an asterisk or something next to a link to the 'official' one but like you keep telling me it is obviated by just being more specific with words!

• Does that help?

What to in case of existing companies but no longer existing product?
What kind of link or website address are you suggesting to use?

I have also an issue with Controls>Control Type, since I think there other kind of controls (i.e. Push Buttons).

i would like to know the weight in kgs of all of the gear on gearogs.

there could be a 'modal product webpage' that is not the maker's site, like a fan/info site or a link to the product webpage of a shop or repair place

That is fine, just name it what it is in the External References section.

What to in case of existing companies but no longer existing product?

Any external page with valid information on it is fine.

I have also an issue with Controls>Control Type, since I think there other kind of controls (i.e. Push Buttons).

At the moment, we have "momentary push switch" and "latching push switch". Does that not describe what you are looking for?

problems with images at http://www.gearogs.com/gear/1928-Korg-MicroKORG-XL
might be related to having multiple images with same filename

belay previous useless complaint

666 items

i listed the crown rta2 and ima as effect, because arguably they have inputs and (thru or) outputs
but they have no effect - only analysis or measurement. tuner is another sub of this class.

also i feel that eq and dynamics are subordinate categories of effect, you can have neither equalization or levelling without first being an effect - some software groups effect type into either time or amplitude since that is all you can change about a signal.

I vote for an option "Sound Analyzer" / "Analyzer" or "Sound Measuring" for such instruments, sound can also be called Signal, but that risks opening up submissions of signal measuring instruments that have nothing to do with sound or music.
I think that suits better than "Effect" (although it can be considered a visual effect ofcourse:)

I agree that EQ and dynamics are subordinate categories of effect.
I think a (sound) Effect can simply defined by: 'Anything that alters an existing sound or sound signal'
EQ & Dynamics definitly conform to that.

theyre all arguably calibration equipment, just indicating in other ways than amplitude

the mixing desk function could be widened or split into mixing desks and non desk, non dj mixers like ART MX622

i listed the crown rta2 and ima as effect, because arguably they have inputs and (thru or) outputs
but they have no effect - only analysis or measurement.

Hmm, I think measuring equipment is out of scope of the database though, otherwise we start listing every oscilloscope etc.

i feel that eq and dynamics are subordinate categories of effect,

EQ and Dynamics are considered 'processors' which change the existing sound. This is different from 'effects' which add to the sound.

[Quote] EQ and Dynamics are considered 'processors' which change the existing sound. This is different from 'effects' which add to the sound. [/quote]

Interesting approach.
So: reverb, echo, distortion, EQ/filters, compressors/limiters, delay, flange, chorus, ... are all processors as they don't add anything to the sound signal.
I guess Frequency modulation is considered an effect, just as a ring modulator and a vocoder, as they all add a signal to an existing signal in a specific way.

I think measuring equipment is out of scope of the database though, otherwise we start listing every oscilloscope etc.

agreed, otoh these are crown audio calibration equipment, the IMA was sold as the bottom half of their high-end tape setups. on even another hand they could be considered as stand alone VU meters, essentially, which would have the same (lack of effect) while being specifically audio equipment

let's not argue but looks like there's plenty of room to - some effects remove from the sound, some dynamics add to the sound

So: reverb, echo, distortion, EQ/filters, compressors/limiters, delay, flange, chorus, ... are all processors as they don't add anything to the sound signal.

No. Reverb, echo, delay, flange, chorus all add to the sound (mostly some delayed signal of some type).

EQ/filters, compressors/limiters process the existing sound in some way.

It is somewhat pedantic, but that is the way I was taught it and understood it and have seen thing categorised (I was a sound engineer from '90 through about 2005, went to engineering collage, ran a recording studio, built my own gear, wired studios etc).

Distortion falls in between. Most would call it an effect I guess.

The point with the database was to just separate out by name the dynamics and EQ, and not worry about the 'processor' distinction.

otoh these are crown audio calibration equipment, the IMA was sold as the bottom half of their high-end tape setups. on even another hand they could be considered as stand alone VU meters, essentially, which would have the same (lack of effect) while being specifically audio equipment

Hmm yeh, welcome the grey area, it always happens! I don't mind too much if they are catalogued here, but I think we want to avoid making tags for measuring equipment as we will just get (oscillo) scope creep then :-)

yes i sync we will have to sweep that right out -- even if it hertz

Ah ok, reverb/echo/chorus/... indeed add itself to their own sound in some altered way. Dynamics/EQ only 'colorize' or change amplitude.

Distortion/saturation/overdrive probably started as an artifact. I guess today 'effect' is a good category for these.

thanks, doctor

i would like to be able to seperate items on on the manufacturer pages with range groups
for example the casio SK and CZ lines are seperate and have their own little history but could be grouped together under a heading that has space for some info. this would only apply to a few of the big guys like korg and roland but it sure would help the UX a bit
i hope this did not come across as a request for dissenting opinions i am just saying.

interesting idea meatsock! I agree the maker/manufacturer pages could benefit from grouping/faceting of some kind. Would you rather group by different lines or by different functions? (i.e. group Casio by SK and CZ or group Casio by all synthesizers/tuners/samplers/etc)

personally i'd like to group by function, but grouping by product line would be a welcome addition as well....also maybe being able to view hierarchies of manufacturers and their sub companies would be cool too...

lines is necessary but not implied in the schema, functions is already something you can group by since its a field, but line should be an optional as its only seen where company size > zaibatsu

theres just not yet a manuf list view with columns you can sort by anywhere. i wanna sort korg by year, or by line, or both. long list of model names is not super great.

nb line and function are, i think, linked in the real world. every sk is a sampling keyboard, every cz is phase distortion, but both indicators will help one arrive at the right page in different ways. why not both

maybe the last part of your post opens the door to "discogs of companies" but that idea makes me queasy. "company was bought by" would be useful. my vision is a tree view with each branch a line and each branch a "date announced" sorted list of items.

also some indication of popularity or rarity would help people know there are a different amount of dx-7s vs gx-1s in the world

|| also some indication of popularity or rarity would help people know there are a different amount of dx-7s vs gx-1s in the world

I think, when the site gets more & more used, the popularity/rarity will be shown by the amount of people who tag it as owned gear. (By now it's mostly the submitter only who owns the submitted gear)

http://theppgs.com/media/pictures/media_ppgbus.gif

look at this ridiculous thing. what is that thing.

it turns out it's a 24 way centronics connector. it was invented a week before midi. that is ridiculous, if you add that to the connector selector good luck. 24 pin centronics is also ieee-488 or GPIB (but we don't do lab equipment)

24-pin connector: IEEE 488 (GPIB) interface - this is the one wolfgang palm used on his PPGs with an incompatible format and pinout to either
36-pin connector: IEEE 1284 parallel interface - this is a printer connector and some audio analyzers have printer ports
50-pin connector: SCSI-1 interface (SCSI connector) - this winds up showing up on early sampler hard drives
50-pin connector: RJ21X "telco connector" (telephone systems)

ugh theres two kinds
http://theppgs.com/gfx/wavetermb/wtb_fullback.jpg

ooh it is functionally equivalent to using
24 Pin Centronics - D-Sub, 24 Way

i have @gearogs lmk if i am in trouble :)

would like to be able to seperate items on on the manufacturer pages

Yes something along these lines would be good for sure. We'll be working more on faceting of these types of pages http://www.gearogs.com/browse/function-Turntable first. Some sorting options on all pages would be cool as well.

centronics connector

Yeh there are no doubt lots of connectors that we haven't got listed yet. I'd enter them as 'Other' right now, I can add them to the dropdown list if they are found to be common.

oh i did not mention, after some research centronics turns out to be a type of d-sub connector anyway, so just mentioning the number of pins but not the type avoided a whole thing

trying some new ideas: maybe the 'brand' heading is good for the modular stuff. let's see if everyone hates it the way i did it for the new roland system-500
if not i may do this with the electribes as well, for grouping. i think the modules should be the items and the 'buy whole set at once' setup could be referenced from the brand page?

i notice that roland system-700 look like nonstandard module size that is not listed in the 'form factor' dropdown. in the form factor drop down, the dashes between modular - system 100 and modular - 500 series are different.

also having trouble uploading some huge images. is there a filesize limit?

Hi!

Interesting idea with the modular things. The problem I see is this is using 'Brand' and 'Company' in a different way than intended http://www.gearogs.com/wiki/Maker

So we'd expect 'Roland' to be the brand, and 'Roland Coporaration' is the company. These groupings of modular things are more like a 'Model Series' or something, so I don't think using 'Brand' works here unfortunately. We could maybe make another dropdown for this.

i notice that roland system-700 look like nonstandard module size that is not listed in the 'form factor' dropdown.

Cool, I can add it, I was trying to research if it is a specific format (like 5U or some such), but can't find any info ATM.

in the form factor drop down, the dashes between modular - system 100 and modular - 500 series are different.

Uugh, I don't know why that happened :-/

"Modular – 500 Series",
"Modular – 5U"
"Modular – Eurorack"
"Modular – Frac"
"Modular - System-100"
"Modular – X-Rack"

I'd actually really want them all the standard "-" and not"–". I have updated them all, but it means that all the entries will have to be updated for all the modular stuff apart from System-100. I don't think there is a rush to do that though, just something to be aware of!

also having trouble uploading some huge images. is there a filesize limit?

I don't think there is a hard limit, but it is likely timing out. Need to trim them a bit!

the differentiation between roland and roland co. is procedural, their commercials say "we are roland" not "we are a tax dodging corporate financial paperworks from the caymans" or whatever the actual case is, and a brand is any term of art, like razer is a brand of cellphone by virtue of someone printing it on one. the bit with corporation seems the most likely to need changing when the $ facts change later but roland is the name of the property consumers would know, so that is the value of the name

http://www.synthesizers.com/formfactors.html

this looks like all of the sizes

http://www.synthesizers.com/formfactors.html
this looks like all of the sizes

Thanks, I'll get those added soon!

the differentiation between roland and roland co. is procedural, their commercials say "we are roland" not "we are a tax dodging corporate financial paperworks from the caymans" or whatever the actual case is, and a brand is any term of art, like razer is a brand of cellphone by virtue of someone printing it on one. the bit with corporation seems the most likely to need changing when the $ facts change later but roland is the name of the property consumers would know, so that is the value of the name

Roland isn't a good example of why it is necessarily important to differentiate. We went through this quite a number of years ago at Discogs, and it is important to separate them out as one Company can have more than one Brand, or indeed one Brand can be owned by more than one Company over the years (example, Moog).

i am not arguing :)

wires are not gear.

wires are not gear.

That comment is regarding http://www.gearogs.com/gear/5097-FluxxWire-Type-B I think?

This likely could have it's own topic / discussion. I am not sure about that cable, I can't find anything about FluxxWire being a manufacturer / brand.

Some cables http://www.gearogs.com/gear/176-Kimber-Kable-8PR are branded however.

i also had the experience of not finding any google results for the brand name listed there (other than the reputable and informative gearogs.com link that came up =) so i would be inclined to agree with you even if it weren't the case that they are described as basically being 'hand twisted 13 awg wires' which are a commodity item. i think that kimber cable, fluxxwire, monster, and all the other brands do in fact make wires that cost more than some equipment, but that doesn't make them equipment. would equivalent commodity hardware be listed under the same item? i.e. if i use the same AWG wire and braiding as fluxxwire, would they not be identical?

both points are aside from the fact that wires are not gear. wires are what you plug gear in to! its important to be able to classify anything in a system but it is also important to not open the door to someone listing a power strip or a copper pipe as equipment.

i feel like an analogy would be to classify record store shopping bags as a type of record sleeve.

I think people will want to catalog their equipment hook up wires, especially if they have spent time selecting them etc. I am also trying to think of what the problem would be in cataloging cables in this database.

would equivalent commodity hardware be listed under the same item? i.e. if i use the same AWG wire and braiding as fluxxwire, would they not be identical?

I don't know about that Fluxxwire entry. I don't think Fluxxwire is a manufacturer, that seems the main problem to me.

haha there is no way to enter a discussion on an item page if the discussion had a blank title, see my brilliant post here: http://www.gearogs.com/gear/8212-Roger-Linn-Design-Linnstrument

LOL what you gone done! I'll look into it, see if we can fix that up / avoid the problem in the future :-)

I have issues with replacing or adding pics.
I uploaded two different pics, but two times the same pic is shown. When I disable one and try to upload anorher pic it will not save. I will try tomorrow on other computer with chrome (in stead of now using IE).
http://www.gearogs.com/gear/8315-Bang-Olufsen-Beogram-1100
and
http://www.gearogs.com/gear/8317-Bang-Olufsen-Beogram-1102

Hi - sorry to hear you are having problems uploading images.

So you are going to http://www.gearogs.com/gear/8315-Bang-Olufsen-Beogram-1100/edit_images , uploading the image, then going back to that page to upload another one?

I tried it again, now on my iPhone. Worked perfectly. Maybe it had to do with me IE settings. I'll try to reproduce it at one point. Can we delete pics? I have one pic that shows the wrong model. I disabled it, but can you delete it completely?

Hi - glad it is working on your phone at least :-)

Can we delete pics? I have one pic that shows the wrong model. I disabled it, but can you delete it completely?

Traditionally on Discogs, we don't delete images, even if they are totally incorrect. That means we have a history of what was done and what was there. Otherwise, fully deleting something means we have to make a system to do that, and data could get removed accidentally. Hope that makes sense!

It does! Thanks for the response.

https://twitter.com/meatsock/status/695992902275694592

=)))

ಊ(╰◣▂ ◢╯)Ψ

Hi,
how can I delete a "maker" page?

ERROR
http://www.gearogs.com/maker/9073-E-A

CORRECT
http://www.gearogs.com/maker/9075-E-S

Thanks & Regards

Hi - we can't remove that at the moment, it just stays as an 'orphan' right now. We'll no doubt clean them up sometime, but unless there is a big problem with it, we can leave it for a while.

Hi NIk,

ERROR:
http://www.gearogs.com/maker/3378-Electro-Harmonix
http://www.gearogs.com/maker/3379-Electro-Harmonix
http://www.gearogs.com/maker/3144-Electro-Harmonix

CORRECT:
http://www.gearogs.com/maker/3124-Electro-Harmonix

Bye

Hi! We can't easily clear these out at the moment, but will keep this in mind for future development, thanks!

http://www.gearogs.com/gear/11722-Systemdek-IIX

this is listed as tabletop but i think that it looks more like a ceiling-mount which is not listed as a form-factor

=)

!

:o)

Very good!

these both are the same item, manufactured by one group and rebadged and sold as a different brand. the vermona/syncussion/MAM story is pretty interesting, actually. i think matrixsynth had some discussion about it.
http://www.gearogs.com/gear/12085-Music-And-More-Syncussion
http://www.gearogs.com/gear/1669-Vermona-DRM1-MKIII

i also think that different versions of the same thing should be on the same page; ableton live for a recent example, is one piece of software. the differences should be noted by version number but IMO a link to the official SVN or change history would suffice?

in addition, wires, even though they are not equipment, should be listed as 'no audio' because they do not generate any audio, digital or otherwise. ever.

also i think the 'maker' page would benefit from more than one text field, like URL, address, links to (official) social media accounts, and dates of operation so that issues of sequentiality can be addressed (one company buys another and shuts it down should be noted on both?), links to wikipedia or stock tickers? but i am sure it is in the works and im not rushing or complaining =)

in addition, there should be a gearogs of wall warts so that i don't have to see them here =)

Thanks for the ideas!

different versions of the same thing should be on the same page

This is likely a bigger discussion, but my feeling is if there is an external difference in the item, it should be on it's own page ala Discogs. Internal or software differences, I am not so definite on.

wires, even though they are not equipment, should be listed as 'no audio' because they do not generate any audio, digital or otherwise.

The signal path for them is 'passive hardware'.

the 'maker' page would benefit from more than one text field, like URL, address, links to (official) social media accounts, and dates of operation so that issues of sequentiality can be addressed (one company buys another and shuts it down should be noted on both?), links to wikipedia or stock tickers? but i am sure it is in the works and im not rushing or complaining

Yup we could do more there for sure. Not on the immediate radar, but sometime!

there should be a gearogs of wall warts so that i don't have to see them here =)

Wartogs?

Hi meatsock,
I've added all Ableton prod. cause I thought that in a Collection those prod. are different:
Packaging,
Version,
Price
Product Name
Feautures
Barcode
Release Date
and so on.
If I click on collection I want the absolute object ;)
I don't know if is OK for Geargos
Regards

somehow i missed the passive option :)
as for superficial differences, agreed, how about identical but differently named or branded items like vermona drm?
or the opposite case, the arp oddesy, both made by korg 30 years apart?

how about identical but differently named or branded items like vermona drm?

On Discogs, these would be a unique entry, I think the same is ok here - people may have or want a specific version, or one may be rare or interesting and the other common. For example, the different colours of Roland SH-101.

or the opposite case, the arp oddesy, both made by korg 30 years apart?

I'm not sure I understand. The original Odyssey was made by Arp, the reissue by Korg. Also, the reissue is really different - different size etc.

The Odyssey is another good variation example, there is the whiteface, the black n gold mkii, and the black n orange mkiii, plus there are differences in the circuitry between each version, but that doesn't follow the cosmetic changes! Complicated, yes, but we should try to track all these differences as it is important to people.

Hi Nik,
can you add in Form Factor section a
"Vinyl Timecode Control"
section?

EX:
https://serato.com/controlvinyl
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-accessories/bags-cases-and-control-media/control-media/
http://www.mixvibes.com/products/control-vinyl-records
and so on...

Do you think are there GEARS?
Thanks

Hi - I think they fit better in over at Discogs https://www.discogs.com/label/136283-Serato-Pressings , thanks!

Hi Nik,
site create automatically

http://www.gearogs.com/maker/14315-4ms
and
http://www.gearogs.com/maker/14312-4ms

but if I modify http://www.gearogs.com/maker/14312-4ms on "Edit this Page" button
I see "gear edit page" and not "makers edit page".

Can you verify?
Can you delete a makers page?

Thanks

so far there is no way to delete a maker

good news is that there is no problem, just don't add new items to deprecated maker identities.
the solution is to spell it correctly the first time =)

i notice that with an item page you can rename the item or change the spelling of the maker and it will update correctly without creating an orphan item but there is no maker editing page because the maker is made from whatever you type on the item page.

sometime soon someone will remove them all until then you'll be fine

and yes, i notice the same behavior with the 4ms maker page.

Hi - yes, we need a way to clear duplicate maker pages.

if I modify http://www.gearogs.com/maker/14312-4ms on "Edit this Page" button
I see "gear edit page" and not "makers edit page".

I'm not sure I understand the problem. I was able to edit it ok. Could you describe further the problem you are seeing? Thanks!

is msrp or price at launch something that would be helpful? it might be a good measure of "sane" pricing or provide historical data / some comparison to gearogs mrket price

https://www.loc.gov/programs/national-recording-preservation-plan/tools-and-resources/vintage-manuals-brochures-catalogs-and-reports/

Edit the "Delete" page with new gears!

http://www.gearogs.com/search?q=delete

Bye

is msrp or price at launch something that would be helpful? it might be a good measure of "sane" pricing or provide historical data / some comparison to gearogs mrket price

Yeh, some kind of pricing would be good, but hard, due to different currencies, and the date as related to exchange rates, inflation etc. Will keep this in mind though!

Nice link to the National Recording Preservation Plan Vintage Manuals, Brochures, Catalogs, & Reports!

Edit the "Delete" page with new gears!

Yup, we can reuse the items at http://www.gearogs.com/maker/4527-Delete , although the developers 'deleting' them permanently would be cleaner :-)

http://www.europeana.eu/portal/search?f[DATA_PROVIDER][]=The+British+Library&f[PROVIDER][]=Europeana+Sounds&f[REUSABILITY][]=open&f[TYPE][]=IMAGE&f[TYPE][]=TEXT

ugly url good data

Huh, good find meatsock, Thanks!

Hi Nik,
I've deleted a lot of gear today (Mon 28.3.2016)...
Maybe User Experience isn't clear for all :(
Can Gearogs team add some entry checks?

Thanks

http://www.gearogs.com/search?q=delete

Hi - thanks, I have posted about this at http://www.gearogs.com/forum/19090-How-to-handle-duplicates

Hi Nik,
if actually see duplicated we don't make a Delete-Delete edit?

Hi - maybe just edit the title to add [DUPLICATE] for now. Thanks!

like this?
http://www.gearogs.com/gear/19179-Technics-1210-DUPLICATE

Yeh I think that is more gentle for now and we'll be able to find them all and merge. Does that make sense to you?

ok! If I'll see DUPLICATE I'll use this trick.bye

Hi - also, it is a good idea to post a link to the item the entry is a duplicate of in the notes, so the submitter can find it easily, for example http://www.gearogs.com/gear/20079-Technics-DUPLICATE-1210/history

http://www.muzines.co.uk/display_mag.php?mag=7&id=631

Hi,
search bar often does not work or is too slow.

Thanks

upload of multiple images at once

upvote/downvote gear item so more relvant stuff shows up in

... in front of the less relevant stuff like cords and accessories, or to indicate prominence.. like on the dave smith page the ob-6 and p 5 should be more prominent as they are flagships

Could you give any examples of where it is not working? Thanks!

upvote/downvote gear item so more relvant stuff shows up in front of the less relevant stuff like cords and accessories, or to indicate prominence.. like on the dave smith page the ob-6 and p 5 should be more prominent as they are flagships

I think more sorting options on the pages would be good, but I'm not sure about manual up/down vote sorting, that many be somewhat opaque to users and the sorting would be a bit random. We already have facets so you can filter the list by the items you want to see (for the DSI example, keyboards + synthesizers) . I'd be interested in seeing any example pages you are seeing problems on though, and talking about what an ideal sort would be from this perspective.

When I write "TE" no tips appear...I expect "Technics"
Maybe it's only a random issue or my browser issue (IE, Firefox, Chrome).

Is it possible to implement a research like "Google" ?

Thanks & Regards

imo an examplempage would be ortofon - which is the good needle? i cant tell.

dib909: I'm fairly sure it's to minimize too broad searches that are performed as-you-type. The threshold is 3 characters.

imo an example page would be ortofon - which is the good needle? i cant tell.

Yup, so at https://www.gearogs.com/maker/3088-Ortofon to order the list by... Price? Popularity? Rating? Number of years in production? I think there could be a number of ways to do it, but there will always be some subjectivity there. Will keep in mind for a future update though!

When I write "TE" no tips appear...I expect "Technics"
Maybe it's only a random issue or my browser issue (IE, Firefox, Chrome).

I'm fairly sure it's to minimize too broad searches that are performed as-you-type. The threshold is 3 characters.

That is correct, it is the default restriction on searching to make it fast and usable.

Is it possible to implement a research like "Google" ?

Making an amazing search engine is hard. Of course, Google has billions of dollars to spend making it. We have a little less ;-)

We will try and improve it over time, for sure. Thanks!

If Gearogs will become a marketplace, you will have more billions than Google : )

Is there a way to see which user has an item in their collection? Right now there are only the number of people displayed and you can only see the Disgogs-linked contributor's name. This would be useful to write them PMs like to ask for their experience or so about the item.

Hi!

Is there a way to see which user has an item in their collection?

That isn't possible right now.

This would be useful to write them PMs like to ask for their experience or so about the item.

You can add a topic to the gear page https://www.gearogs.com/gear/24138-Reloop-RP-1000-MK-2 (at bottom) and the people that have that in their collection / want list / watch list will be notified. That would be a good way of asking a question.

Oh, ok, thanks.

i think that different color options arent enough of a functional difference to warrant separate items for each color, for many reasons - the least of which is that the color doesnt show up on the search results, so this leaves out the visually impaired from being able to tell the different listings apart.

see:
https://www.gearogs.com/search?q=%22minimoog+voyager%22

Hi meatsock!

i think that different color options arent enough of a functional difference to warrant separate items for each color,

TBH it is probably better to start a new thread for a discussion like this. The way we catalog things on Discogs is the same, there is an entry for each version, as long as the difference is visible.

for many reasons - the least of which is that the color doesnt show up on the search results, so this leaves out the visually impaired from being able to tell the different listings apart.

Data display issues like that can be addressed in one way or another, but we'd need to hear about it being enough of a problem for a number of users before we'd jump on it. I do see what you are saying though, and for sure managing / displaying these variations will be a consideration for updates for sure!

the moog 900 series modular items are 5u not eurorack

Hi meatsock, thanks....tomorrow I'll complete the series!

Hi Nick,
can you join Electro Harmonix page in one page?

https://www.gearogs.com/gear/35565-Electro-Harmonix-Holy-Grail-Plus

Actually there are four pages with different gears in + pages.
Thanks & Regards

Yeh there are four pages https://www.gearogs.com/search?q=Electro+Harmonix

I corrected that entry. We know about these blank / duplicate problems, and will try to resolve them, but I can't say exactly when we will be able to do that.

;) Thanks!

new form factor - i don't know what to call it.

https://www.gearogs.com/gear/35926-M-Audio-Micro-DAC

also group image upload like discogs please =)

new form factor - i don't know what to call it.
https://www.gearogs.com/gear/35926-M-Audio-Micro-DAC

hmmm. "Dongle"?

seems fair, leaves leeway for things like the old cubase drm dongles as well as stuff like chromecast etc. n.b. a thumb drive wouldnt be a dongle, but that might be out of scope for gearogs anyway.

plug adaptors / gender changers also would fall under dongle. would the maudio midisport uno also qualify? i think so, its more than just a cable

group image upload would be a huge help to maybe other people than me! =)

https://www.gearogs.com/maker/13356-Analogue-Solution

the name of the company is analogue solutions (with an s), is there a way to make a change to a maker without editing every item in it

I added "Dongle" to the form factor and also the wiki, thanks!

the name of the company is analogue solutions (with an s), is there a way to make a change to a maker without editing every item in it

Not at this time, sorry!

nice layout changes, i'm a fan. i bet it means you're knee deep in big changes and heavy lifting, but i notice that clicking on the maker name in the header doesn't take you to the maker page

but clicking on the maker name in the main details does so it's really just a nit-pick.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll look into that!

there are a ton of gearogs edits happening that delete a ton of useful information, by a user on gearogs who hasn't got a discogs account.

is that a clean-up script?

https://www.gearogs.com/gear/388-Pioneer-Spec-4/diff?version=4

No, it is not a clean up. it is a vandal. We are on it.

https://www.gearogs.com/maker/4520-roland-system-700

this should be 'under' roland but 'above' the modules

it seems like adding 'roland' to the maker name helps people remember that roland made them, but doesn't do much to link the data to each other.

i don't know the solution, is it more lisp?

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.