Parameter: Mains Switch
Control Type: Rocker Switch
|Signal Path||Analog Hardware|
|Date Produced||June 1992 - Sept 2002|
| Dimensions |
(H × W × D)
|Power Source||Mains 100/120/220/240V +/- 10%|
|Notes||Klout was Linn's top of the line amplifier from 1992 until Klimax Solo mono amp was introduced in 1999 (and possibly before that when the LK240 mono amp was introduced in 1997). It is a stereo power amplifier rated for 80 w/ch into 8 ohms, 160 w/ch into 4 ohms, and nearly doubling down again into 2 ohms as once claimed by an engineer close to the project. |
3 sets of banana sockets for each channel make it easy to bi- or tri-wire speakers, and Aktive crossover cards were available to internally high/low pass the amplifier channels to a single driver in a Linn speaker. Thus several Klouts could be used together in an active crossover arrangement to power difficult speakers like Linn Keltik to their full potential, but one is adequate for small to medium systems.
It has a low noise floor and a refined, effortless, slightly dark sound. Note that later models switched to BFA sockets, requiring adapters to use banana plugs or BFA/banana combo plugs which are hollow in the center. It sold for around $5,000 US and was discontinued in 2002.
From Linn's Product Information (see links):
Provides the uncompromising power, stability and performance required to drive any loudspeaker to the highest standard of musical accuracy.
• Two separate amplifiers in one box each with its own fully regulated and isolated power supply for the ultimate loudspeaker control and stability
• Protection circuitry which does not limit output current. (protected against: transistor overload, instantaneous over-current, short circuit, over-temperature, over and under voltage, DC input, power supply in-rush current)
• Advanced circuitry to maximise loudspeaker control and protect the amplifier and loudspeakers from overload
• Three sets of speaker outputs for optimised bi-and tri-wiring upgrades or driving auxiliary loudspeakers
• Parallel line-in/line-out connectors for ‘daisy-chained’ multi-amplifier installations
• Remote switch-on facility to enable freedom of location and system configuration
• Front facia bi-coloured LEDs to indicate product status
• Massive heatsink extrusion for cool, stable performance
• Fully screened transformer to allow hum-free stacking
• Linn active crossover modules accommodated internally for improved playback
performance and simple active system installation
• Surface-mount electronics to improve heat dissipation and reliability, and provide
optimum signal handling
• Ultra-short signal path, which preserves music signal integrity, in a very compact
Production changes by serial number (see links):
• 530: Aktiv connector replaced with new type. Aktiv link now soldered in place (previous to this it was a mechanical link)
• 592: Shake-proof washers added to screws that hold transformer in place to improve earth continuity. This improved the sound quality.
• 1165: Added cut-out under rear foot to allow easier access to right hand channel Aktiv link.
• 1201: Aktiv link added to board (previously Aktiv link had been soldered, as an addition, onto the socket)
• 1800: Piggy-back board (PCAS 161) upgraded to improve stability of protection circuitry.
• ? Main board (PCAS 160) upgraded to improve Aktiv card compatibility
• ~2700: Shim mod (Mica washers) fitted as standard between power transistors on main board and coupling block. Sound improvement mod.
• 3796: Chokes (ferrite rings) fitted to transformer output leads to solve a problem found in a small percentage of Klouts whereby a short mechanical buzz is heard when unit switched on.
• 4586: Extrusion finish changed to textured paint cosmetic change only
• ~4700: Shake-proof washers added to screws that hold base-plate on to extrusion to improve earth continuity and prevent screws loosening in transit. This improved the sound quality.
• 5000: Speaker sockets changed to safety compliant type (BFA)
• 5179: Capacitor added to Transformer connector on main board to improve the Klout's immunity to electromagnetic emissions. This improved the sound quality.
|Output Power, 8 Ω||80 W/ch|
|Output Power, 4 Ω||160 W/ch|
|Input Impedance||5 kΩ|
|Max Input Power||840 W|
|Idle Power||25 W|
|Left Channel Status||LED||Green/Red|
|Right Channel Status||LED||Green/Red|
|Left Channel Input||RCA (Phono, Cinch) Unbalanced, Socket (Female)|
|Right Channel Input||RCA (Phono, Cinch) Unbalanced, Socket (Female)|
|Left Speaker Out (x3)||Banana Socket (Female)|
|Right Speaker Out (x3)||Banana Socket (Female)|
|Left Channel Out||RCA (Phono, Cinch) Unbalanced, Socket (Female)|
|Right Channel Out||RCA (Phono, Cinch) Unbalanced, Socket (Female)|
|Remote In||RCA (Phono, Cinch) Socket (Female)|
|Remote Out||RCA (Phono, Cinch) Socket (Female)|